Thursday, June 5

Say Brother, can you loan me an apron?

I am not the most well traveled Mason in the world, but I have visited several different Grand Jurisdiction within the United States and Internationally. In my travels within the United States it seems that the vast majority of Freemasons show up at the Lodge, on any given night, and as they enter the Lodge room they grab a plain white cotton apron from a stand or a drawer close to the door, quickly wrap it around their middles and then shuffle in to find a seat.
Does the average Freemason spend more time reflecting on the borrowed badge of a Mason or quickly glancing around to see if he can find a seat close to someone he’d like to talk to?
Why is it, in this country primarily, that Freemason want to use a “loaner” apron at Lodge meetings? Is it because most don’t own their own apron? Is it because they say “It has always been that way”? Or, is it because they don’t want to be bothered to keep up with their own apron?
I assume it is all the above. I also feel that the above is compounded by an attitude from most that the apron is nothing more than a mere formality that must be worn to attend a meeting.
I believe that respect for the Craft is shown by the way we dress for a meeting – which includes the apron we wear. Is the plain white cotton apron, stained by years of use and neglect, the mechanism preferred to express your commitment to Masonry? It isn’t for me. Respect for the Craft is expressed both inwardly and outwardly. The apron should be the focal point of physically expressing the pride you take as being a Freemason. No more worn and/or stained loaners for me.

4 comments:

King of Inishshark said...

Excellent points. One problem exists with the over(?) regulation of aprons and regalia by the Grand authorities in the US where rules are enforced as to what apron can be worn, by who, the diameter of the sunburst, the measurement of the border and the color of the same. If you belong to an Irish Const, but your mother lodge is in State X GL then u may not be able to wear the Irish Regalia within that State. Newer more junior ranked Master Masons are typically the ones grabbing the cotton, stained, wrinkled "white" aprons (some lodges do have nice lambskin or at least synthetic leather aprons for visitors), and they are the least likely (being new) to deviate from practice. Some may be unaware that they could bring their own nice lambskin white apron to wear to lodge.

The Past Masters and Right Worshipfuls typically tend to bring their own purple lined aprons. In places like Haiti, a Mason would never ever wear the apron of another man or one worn by many. They consecrate their own regalia, and their regalia is looked at as a spiritual vestment, even an armor. Herein lies the difference, the approach to the lodge in the US is for the majority...a very Malkuthian, external, practical, club approach as opposed to a more mystical approach where things have significance. This is of course changing now.

In NYC where lodge culture is decidedly more formal, lodges tend to provide very nice, even ornate, blue trimmed aprons for guests to wear. Still, I bring my own. Great post!

TejanoDiablo said...

When I was presented with my white lambskin apron I was told it was only to be worn for special occassions. I've never understood why attending a stated or called meeting wasn't considered special enough to wear one's lambskin apron. I have been considering wearing my lambskin apron to Lodge as a regular practice and will do so when I leave the East. My question is when did Lodge officers begin to wear office specific aprons?

Empire Lodge Message Centre said...

In our jurisdiction, a man is presented with his MM's apron on the night he is raised. Up until that point, he will use an EA or FC "loaner". Should he forget his apron, (oh shame!) he will customarily borrow an EA apron for the night. (and be mercilessly razzed for it at Festive Board).
Our Apron's are our symbol of "getting down to work", and should reflect our pride in that "work" as well.

steven stein said...

I am part of the NJ Jurisdiction and its white Apron for Everyone who is not an officer or anyone who sits on the sidelines then there apron with a one inch blue border for officers then for past masters plain one inch purple border apron with no design. I want to purchase an apron that will be beautiful and a work of art. But I can not wear it in my lodge, only when I travel out of the jurisdiction. I have seen Voltaire apron off of an English Website. I just need to think of a design that represent me. I want something elegant and pure work of Art.